29.6.09

Last

My last day just dawned.

I am suddenly in a contemplative mood like it was set by an emotional alarm clock. I suddenly saw myself reading my old blog and rereading my Film professor's comments.

That blog post was on happiness--that one may only have so much of it in this world and something will always be missing.

I am leaving a job that ate every second of my last two years. It's a love-hate relationship. It was a jealous mistress. A nagging mother--you hate doing what it asks you and you do it anyway and you learn a lot in between.

I am leaving not only because something is missing but also because something has to be filled. A vacuum somewhere. Probably inside me.

It's not leaving nor moving on. It's moving up.

News friends ask me if I'm leaving for a better pay, better benefits and perfunctorily I'd say yes. Simply put, I am leaving because that's what my heart tells me to do and what the universe has conspired to make happen. Or maybe not. I'm just making an excuse to leave.

In 23 hours and 47 minutes, I am out of this office officially. But my heart stays on.

Let this be my podium to thank everyone who has touched my life one way or another, masakit man o masaya. Everyday has been a learning day for me in the newsroom, before the mediocre days set in.

I need to break even the faintest hint of mediocrity in my work, hence, I am embarking on more challenges. That's what life has always been to me: a challenge to overcome, leaving me all competitive. (I wonder if I'm gonna die fighting.)

I am only or already 24. As I am keeping my youth, I am also embracing maturity. In a few years, I might look for higher mountains to climb, or greener pastures, or richer environment, or just settle down. I might keep looking and looking and never really find the happiness I seek. But then again, I might die tomorrow.

If that happens, I would have had wanted to experience all life has to offer.

I might be no different to a rolling stone that gathers no moss. I could have just stayed in one place and keep reaching for a dream until it becomes less and less elusive. I could have secured and defined my future. But then again, without rubbing it too much in, we don't know when we are truly leaving.

Think about the time lost staying in one place forever.

I am worried about myself too, given that you're worried if I'll ever get somewhere permanently. All I know is that I'm going where the wind blows. All that matters is now. Kebs about the future. What is is what is. The past is gone. The future yet to come.

What is meant to happen will happen. Murphy and Jobs share that idea, though said differently.

Tomorrow and days thereafter, I will look at the bright blue sky above and thank the Lord for the morning.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

aaaay... we will surely miss you joie baby... mababawasan na ang kakulitan ko dyan sa bandang yan ng newsroom :)
Godspeed on your new endeavour mwah!

reflectionsofanearly30 said...

Thanks Ms. Rod--one of the humblest people in the newsroom. I will always remember you, not just for the pabango you gave me, but for the RNG materials you always asked me to ask DNG to retrieve. Hahaha! :-)

irishpilya said...

haaayyyy...namimiss ko lahat ng moments natin together!at ang mga ang inis natin sa mundo, sa kain natin inilalabas..hay..moments nga naman!

Unknown said...

hahaha! y'know, medyo alangan pa ako magpa-retrieve sa new researchers... actually haven't asked them to call DNG yet :D
so how r you in your new world? :p

reflectionsofanearly30 said...

dear irish,
namimiss ko na nga magpugo eh. lam mo naman, sosyal sa makati, walang pugo dun hahaha. kowloon?

reflectionsofanearly30 said...

dear ms. rod,
eto sosyalera. hahaha! dameng events and meetings. i'm learning to deal with company owners. kumbaga eh mga gabby lopez ng mga IT companies. at may sarili akong oras so pwede matulog kahit kailangan. :-) syempre miss ko rin naman ang newsroom rush, mga once a month. hehe. btw, ang bango talaga ng pabango mo!

Unknown said...

wow! bongga! di na ma-reach, ibang lebel na ang lola :p
at dahil mabango ang pabango... bibili ka na wahahah, may iba pa ng scent (may pagka-vanilla/sweet candy ang smell) hehehe

TimAlonso said...

another excellent blog piece joey, interesting view on your last job haha well im glad you're finally doing something i hope you'd enjoy more haha, good luck with that...

reflectionsofanearly30 said...

ms rod, sige, pag naubos na tong pabango ko, text kita. nagbentahan ba sa blog ko hahaha!

reflectionsofanearly30 said...

thanks tim! how's YOUR blogging life?

Unknown said...

hahaha! ginawang Multiply ang blog... sya! txt-txt ha :p

Labels